Despite the cold weather on Friday, several folks braved the elements and came to Geekdom for the TEDWomen Watch Party.
We watched several talks from the TEDWomen livestream, including:
- Diana Nyad, Journalist and Swimmer, sharing her inspiring, surprising thoughts on motivation and achievement after swimming solo from Cuba to the U.S. in her 60s.
- Dava Newman, Space Suit Designer, who integrates beautiful mathematics and memory metals into “the smallest spacecraft,” suits that keep astronauts alive and healthy.
- Rupal Patel, Speech Scientist, who creates customized, assistive robotic voices that use the vocalizations of the people who use them, and described eloquently why that matters so much.
- Sarah Kay, Poet, who evoked what it means to her to be a woman, a human being, and how we define ourselves by our relationships with others.
- Boyd Varty, Environmental and Literacy Activist told several stories about his family’s work on safaris in South Africa, and shared the concept of Ubuntu – I am, because you are.
- Esta Soler, Violence and Abuse Prevention Expert and “mother” of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) shared the latest encouraging statistics about domestic violence, and described ways for us to speed up the healing.
- Maysoon Zayid, Comedian and Writer,
exploded a whole raft of stereotypes while generating laughter with tales of her childhood as a Palestinian-American, her experiences as a young actress with cerebral palsy and life journey so far.
Give us your feedback!
If you were able to attend, please give “Big” TED your feedback about the event in the TEDxSA TEDWomen Watch Party official post-event survey.
And since it’ll be awhile before we see your feedback, let us know your thoughts and ideas in the comments here.
Don’t forget to Save the Date for the upcoming TEDxSanAntonio Women Salon – Redefining Beauty, Saturday, February 1.
Thanks again for keeping the TEDxSanAntonio Community active!