Have you wanted there to be a TEDxSA subgroup for Youth? The wait is over!
TEDxSanAntonio has been granted a license to livestream the upcoming worldwide TEDYouth conference on Saturday, November 15.
At a TEDxYouth event, middle and high school aged idea lovers organize and run an independently organized TED event. We hope this Livestream event will provide an opportunity for those interested to form a TEDxYouth@SanAntonio subgroup. Once we have established that core group of committed volunteers, we can plan more ambitious events, such as a full Youth event with live speakers.
To keep this first event manageable, we’re requesting that attendees be of high school age. We’re inviting high schoolers to attend the event free of charge. We’ll make room for a few interested adults, and we ask adults to contribute $10 toward the cost of the event.
Format and Activities
- Primary focus is to gather, watch and discuss the Livestream from TEDYouth 2014: Worlds Imagined. This year’s TEDYouth event theme is “Worlds Imagined.” Take a look at the speaker lineup.
- Students will lead two breakout groups to watch selected talks and discuss the ideas presented.
- We’re coordinating a Google Hangout with other TEDxYouth events that will be underway when we are (with a worldwide program, we often struggle with time zone issues!).
- All participants and all Youth in Bexar County are invited to participate in the TEDxYouth photo challenge. Photograph yourself holding a sign that starts with the idea: If I ruled the world … and finish the thought. Upload your creation and tag it with #TEDxYouthDay and #TEDxYouthSA, and we’ll share it with other TEDxYouth participants around the world.
- Participants are invited to brainstorm themes they’d like to explore in future events, speakers they’d like to hear from, activities that might energize the community, and groups or organizations that should be invited.
Beverages and light snacks will be provided.
When: Saturday, November 15, 2014, 3:00 PM to 6 PM
Agenda: 3 PM Registration Opens
3:30 PM LIVESTREAM of TEDYouth 2014
4 PM Discussion Breakout #1
5 PM Discussion Breakout #2
5:30 PM Gather and share insights
6 PM Close
Location: SAYSÍ, 1518 S. Alamo St. San Antonio, TX 78204 [MAP]
Tickets: Students are free with current ID. Adults $10. Space is limited, and registration is required. Preference for attendees is for STUDENTS.
For more information: Email Registration@TEDxSanAntonio.com.
Organizers and Hosts
TEDxYouth@San Antonio is being organized in cooperation with:
- SAYSÍ, our longtime partner and sponsor. SAYSÍ has generously agreed to host the livestream event and provide student leaders for the day. Stephen Guzman and Nicole Amri are coordinating along with SAYSÍ students.
- The San Antonio Youth Commission, a program facilitated by P16Plus Greater Council of Bexar County, will be lending resources and student support to the occasion. Their mission is to give an outlet to San Antonio students to share their passion in a powerful way, to empower youth. As city-appointed representatives of the youth, commissioners will lead a dialog and help students to engage on a deeper level.
Think TEDxSA Youth is a cool idea? Please help us produce the event!
We’d love your help to provide food and beverages, programs, and possibly some useful branded items, Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your information and interest. We welcome cash donations as well as in-kind sponsorships.
Thanks to SAYSÍ and SAYC, we have several volunteers already, but may need more. Email your interest and contact information to SusanP@TEDxSanAntonio.com – and please make sure to specify you’re interested in helping with TEDxYouth @ SA.